Phone: +61 3 9819 3808
Level 27, 101 Collins Street
Melbourne Victoria 3000
New Zealand design registrations
Convention deadlines, filing requirements and registration procedures
New Zealand applies the six month Paris Convention priority deadline.
Minimum filing requirements
- Title of product to be protected
- One (1) set of representations, preferably line drawings
- Name(s) and address(es) of applicant(s)
- Convention priority details - country, date, applicant(s) and number of basic priority application(s)
- Statement of novel features of the design
A Power of Attorney is not required at the time of filing.
Information that may be late filed
- Certified copy of basic priority application(s)
- Nationality of applicant
- The name, address and nationality of each author and an explanation of how the applicant is entitled to the design from the author(s), e.g. by assignment or employment
- An 'Authorisation of Agent' (essentially a Power of Attorney)
15 year term
The registration may remain in force for a period of five years, and can be extended for two further five year periods by paying renewal fees.
Examination typically occurs within a month or so of filing. If the Examiner has no objections, a certificate of registration will issue.
Experienced patent attorneys to care for your clients' New Zealand design rights. WADESON